Deleuze (1925 - 1995) and Guattari (1932 - 1990) wrote a two - volume work called Capitalism and Schizophrenia: Anti - Oedipus (1972) and A Thousand Plateaus (1980). Their masterpiece was the creation of the “rhizome,” which was a revolutionary methodology for thinking.
The rhizome had 6 main traits:
 Connection: This refers to the linking of different thoughts in the rhizome. Ideas are connected at multiple points. Any point of any one thought can be linked to any other point in a system of thought.
 Heterogeneity: No link among different thoughts must be linked to parts of the same nature. A piece of art could be linked to a particular social theory, which could then be linked to a political scandal. The ideas can be linked to each other in any way, not requiring in homogeneity in their fundamental traits.
 Multiplicity: The rhizome is not reducible to one or to multiple. Instead, it is a system of lines. There are not ‘units’ of the rhizome. It can be conceived of as a linear system of dimensions, of ‘directions in motion’.
 A signifying rupture: Parts of rhizome can be ruptured, or broken. This does have a normative meaning. A broken element or connection in the rhizome does not mean that that element was ‘bad’ or should that a link between ideas should not have existed. The rhizome continues to exist.
 Cartography: A person enters into the rhizome from a distinct point. It is not possible to re-enter from the same position many times, or for different people to approach the rhizome from the same position. Cartography has an intuitive meaning, drawing the understanding the links and parts of the rhizome - creating a map of it. This allows for a unique conception of the ideas being evaluated, linked, etc, and a formative process that contrasts to tracing.
 Tracing (decalcomania): Tracing is like tracing a drawing, there is not creation involved. Tracing the rhizome assumes it static and fails take account of the constantly changing nature of the structure. Tracing transposes a pre-existing conception of the rhizome and of thought onto elements that do not fit into that framework. Thus, tracing is opposed the project of conceiving of thought as a rhizomatic scheme.
- strfld reblogged this from desert-nausea
- yazzistron-duh likes this
- separatioleprosorum likes this
- myszkin reblogged this from desperationintheraw
- desperationintheraw reblogged this from desert-nausea
- nawhn likes this
- bathinginhoney likes this
- gdgq reblogged this from desert-nausea
- dhho-thesofts likes this
- murrgazer reblogged this from heksen
- murrgazer likes this
- plutonumetrio likes this
- heksen reblogged this from desert-nausea
- kylindrikoianthropoi likes this
- isoproprylocean reblogged this from desert-nausea
- isoproprylocean likes this
- between-two-seas likes this
- self-archive likes this
- slutty-stoner likes this
- yukiovsky likes this
- philofobia likes this
- ordoadcha reblogged this from desert-nausea
- heksen likes this
- munnskol likes this
- dechires likes this
- desert-nausea reblogged this from dac-marleen-anne
- cecelialeddy likes this
- 13monden likes this
- oxyopioid reblogged this from baruch-de-spinoza
- nunopluis reblogged this from dac-marleen-anne
- lovegodsmashtyrants likes this
- wittgensteinsmister likes this
- experiencingthegirlfriend likes this
- tombomp likes this
- murderousterroristicdictator reblogged this from grouchostalin and added:
- daseinverfallen likes this
- baruch-de-spinoza reblogged this from dac-marleen-anne
- saudade-eterna99 reblogged this from deleuzenotes
- becomingbricolage reblogged this from deleuzenotes
- 01030104 reblogged this from aphexual
- comparativeirrelevance likes this
- rinamin likes this
- deathofablogger likes this
- valleydate reblogged this from deleuzenotes
- valleydate likes this
- mascharka reblogged this from terminalimpacts
- mascharka likes this
- aletheiia likes this
- discovering-again reblogged this from terminalimpacts