Deleuze (1925 - 1995) and Guattari (1932 - 1990) wrote a two - volume work called Capitalism and Schizophrenia: Anti - Oedipus (1972) and A Thousand Plateaus (1980). Their masterpiece was the creation of the “rhizome,” which was a revolutionary methodology for thinking.
The rhizome had 6 main traits:
 Connection: This refers to the linking of different thoughts in the rhizome. Ideas are connected at multiple points. Any point of any one thought can be linked to any other point in a system of thought.
 Heterogeneity: No link among different thoughts must be linked to parts of the same nature. A piece of art could be linked to a particular social theory, which could then be linked to a political scandal. The ideas can be linked to each other in any way, not requiring in homogeneity in their fundamental traits.
 Multiplicity: The rhizome is not reducible to one or to multiple. Instead, it is a system of lines. There are not ‘units’ of the rhizome. It can be conceived of as a linear system of dimensions, of ‘directions in motion’.
 A signifying rupture: Parts of rhizome can be ruptured, or broken. This does have a normative meaning. A broken element or connection in the rhizome does not mean that that element was ‘bad’ or should that a link between ideas should not have existed. The rhizome continues to exist.
 Cartography: A person enters into the rhizome from a distinct point. It is not possible to re-enter from the same position many times, or for different people to approach the rhizome from the same position. Cartography has an intuitive meaning, drawing the understanding the links and parts of the rhizome - creating a map of it. This allows for a unique conception of the ideas being evaluated, linked, etc, and a formative process that contrasts to tracing.
 Tracing (decalcomania): Tracing is like tracing a drawing, there is not creation involved. Tracing the rhizome assumes it static and fails take account of the constantly changing nature of the structure. Tracing transposes a pre-existing conception of the rhizome and of thought onto elements that do not fit into that framework. Thus, tracing is opposed the project of conceiving of thought as a rhizomatic scheme.
- rip-panda-1999 reblogged this from o-u-s-e
- suobscenidad likes this
- mekanicmelange reblogged this from dac-marleen-anne
- opheodrys likes this
- schavelzon reblogged this from dac-marleen-anne
- theresnofutureatall likes this
- retrobabies likes this
- catokov reblogged this from catoholic
- bojvngles likes this
- northglow likes this
- fantasticcoffeeandtoast likes this
- catoholic reblogged this from catfka
- tateshka likes this
- gnostix1 likes this
- alumbrandome likes this
- disintangible reblogged this from pedagogy-of-images
- joaopedromilani likes this
- carolinevitelli likes this
- datalives reblogged this from goethes-fist
- agenericsomething likes this
- goethes-fist reblogged this from pedagogy-of-images
- antimattering reblogged this from heteroglossia
- thefaintest reblogged this from dac-marleen-anne
- breakups2makeups reblogged this from pedagogy-of-images
- nomoremore likes this
- thewindroseup likes this
- lisa-beta likes this
- 11171710 likes this
- stuckonblackanwhite likes this
- anisapetisa reblogged this from catfka
- anisapetisa likes this
- hhhheather likes this
- hhhheather reblogged this from beyondneptune and added:
- o-u-s-e reblogged this from aiujl
- goodnight-irene likes this
- confessionalaesthete likes this
- deleuzed reblogged this from pedagogy-of-images
- delimusic likes this
- aokiphila likes this
- eglowworm reblogged this from persephon-y
- qveer likes this
- queersforfeminism likes this
- against-karma reblogged this from persephon-y
- warpaintemeralddragonfly reblogged this from persephon-y
- persephon-y reblogged this from disjunct
- thequietestmoments likes this
- goldenwolf likes this
- clubgloom reblogged this from nouveaumirai
- clubgloom likes this
- tinyscissorhands likes this