Deleuze (1925 - 1995) and Guattari (1932 - 1990) wrote a two - volume work called Capitalism and Schizophrenia: Anti - Oedipus (1972) and A Thousand Plateaus (1980). Their masterpiece was the creation of the “rhizome,” which was a revolutionary methodology for thinking.
The rhizome had 6 main traits:
 Connection: This refers to the linking of different thoughts in the rhizome. Ideas are connected at multiple points. Any point of any one thought can be linked to any other point in a system of thought.
 Heterogeneity: No link among different thoughts must be linked to parts of the same nature. A piece of art could be linked to a particular social theory, which could then be linked to a political scandal. The ideas can be linked to each other in any way, not requiring in homogeneity in their fundamental traits.
 Multiplicity: The rhizome is not reducible to one or to multiple. Instead, it is a system of lines. There are not ‘units’ of the rhizome. It can be conceived of as a linear system of dimensions, of ‘directions in motion’.
 A signifying rupture: Parts of rhizome can be ruptured, or broken. This does have a normative meaning. A broken element or connection in the rhizome does not mean that that element was ‘bad’ or should that a link between ideas should not have existed. The rhizome continues to exist.
 Cartography: A person enters into the rhizome from a distinct point. It is not possible to re-enter from the same position many times, or for different people to approach the rhizome from the same position. Cartography has an intuitive meaning, drawing the understanding the links and parts of the rhizome - creating a map of it. This allows for a unique conception of the ideas being evaluated, linked, etc, and a formative process that contrasts to tracing.
 Tracing (decalcomania): Tracing is like tracing a drawing, there is not creation involved. Tracing the rhizome assumes it static and fails take account of the constantly changing nature of the structure. Tracing transposes a pre-existing conception of the rhizome and of thought onto elements that do not fit into that framework. Thus, tracing is opposed the project of conceiving of thought as a rhizomatic scheme.
- nihilist-idealist likes this
- tsukijin reblogged this from syntagms
- tsukijin likes this
- syntagms reblogged this from dac-marleen-anne
- mignonhascometostay reblogged this from effys
- heartthrob likes this
- daveyml likes this
- meanthugging likes this
- farewelltoallthedreamers likes this
- farewelltoallthedreamers reblogged this from jawnnah
- kgmoosers reblogged this from effys
- kgmoosers likes this
- brattyppatty likes this
- gonharry reblogged this from effys
- thesecretsofthesea likes this
- seafoamandcobblestone reblogged this from nancyfuckingdrew
- witedahlia likes this
- loveisasickness reblogged this from effys
- loveisasickness likes this
- superior-vena-cava likes this
- jawnnah reblogged this from effys
- madeleineinwonderland likes this
- tamararex likes this
- nancyfuckingdrew reblogged this from effys
- effys reblogged this from dac-marleen-anne
- discovering-again reblogged this from terminalimpacts
- the-new-renaissance-project reblogged this from dac-marleen-anne
- the-new-renaissance-project likes this
- kairiolette likes this
- azulmostaza likes this
- vanianka likes this
- 07101993 likes this
- cliobh likes this
- asquareskv likes this
- longestminute reblogged this from dac-marleen-anne
- longestminute likes this
- theillustioustamtam likes this
- endlessskinder likes this
- tincturephysicorum reblogged this from trashymommarocks
- tincturephysicorum likes this
- trashymommarocks reblogged this from desert-nausea
- trashymommarocks likes this
- focusonthedopeness reblogged this from dac-marleen-anne
- focusonthedopeness likes this
- hm-p likes this
- eltessa reblogged this from dac-marleen-anne
- hetzpropaganda reblogged this from desert-nausea
- castlesvania likes this
- feminerds likes this
- hjorn likes this