Deleuze (1925 - 1995) and Guattari (1932 - 1990) wrote a two - volume work called Capitalism and Schizophrenia: Anti - Oedipus (1972) and A Thousand Plateaus (1980). Their masterpiece was the creation of the “rhizome,” which was a revolutionary methodology for thinking.
The rhizome had 6 main traits:
 Connection: This refers to the linking of different thoughts in the rhizome. Ideas are connected at multiple points. Any point of any one thought can be linked to any other point in a system of thought.
 Heterogeneity: No link among different thoughts must be linked to parts of the same nature. A piece of art could be linked to a particular social theory, which could then be linked to a political scandal. The ideas can be linked to each other in any way, not requiring in homogeneity in their fundamental traits.
 Multiplicity: The rhizome is not reducible to one or to multiple. Instead, it is a system of lines. There are not ‘units’ of the rhizome. It can be conceived of as a linear system of dimensions, of ‘directions in motion’.
 A signifying rupture: Parts of rhizome can be ruptured, or broken. This does have a normative meaning. A broken element or connection in the rhizome does not mean that that element was ‘bad’ or should that a link between ideas should not have existed. The rhizome continues to exist.
 Cartography: A person enters into the rhizome from a distinct point. It is not possible to re-enter from the same position many times, or for different people to approach the rhizome from the same position. Cartography has an intuitive meaning, drawing the understanding the links and parts of the rhizome - creating a map of it. This allows for a unique conception of the ideas being evaluated, linked, etc, and a formative process that contrasts to tracing.
 Tracing (decalcomania): Tracing is like tracing a drawing, there is not creation involved. Tracing the rhizome assumes it static and fails take account of the constantly changing nature of the structure. Tracing transposes a pre-existing conception of the rhizome and of thought onto elements that do not fit into that framework. Thus, tracing is opposed the project of conceiving of thought as a rhizomatic scheme.
- cemaglez reblogged this from ratak-monodosico
- nomadologist reblogged this from dac-marleen-anne and added:
- nomadologist likes this
- comickibitzer reblogged this from yoloineternalrecurrence
- yoloineternalrecurrence reblogged this from epistolammeum
- epistolammeum reblogged this from dac-marleen-anne
- insectosmx likes this
- flows-of-desire likes this
- blackdogbarri likes this
- frankiezafe reblogged this from highminded-lowlife
- pandaslovechris reblogged this from nudespoonseuphoriac
- pandaslovechris likes this
- sobeautifullydifferent likes this
- danggnabit reblogged this from disease-against-the-sun
- highminded-lowlife reblogged this from ratak-monodosico
- hermanogrimm likes this
- iazver likes this
- snugglove reblogged this from ratak-monodosico
- badsexandbadtv likes this
- badsexandbadtv reblogged this from disease-against-the-sun
- disease-against-the-sun reblogged this from ratak-monodosico
- thehystericalsublime likes this
- aplaceofaction reblogged this from nudespoonseuphoriac
- findepartida likes this
- thoughtportrait likes this
- walking-mule reblogged this from ratak-monodosico
- holabotaz likes this
- cemaglez likes this
- findingwemo likes this
- walking-mule likes this
- dazzlingdianavera likes this
- linndrumclaps reblogged this from ratak-monodosico and added:
- linndrumclaps likes this
- deadengine likes this
- nudespoonseuphoriac reblogged this from ratak-monodosico
- nudespoonseuphoriac likes this
- ratak-monodosico reblogged this from desert-nausea and added:
- medicalmango reblogged this from dac-marleen-anne
- strfld reblogged this from desert-nausea
- yazzistron-duh likes this
- separatioleprosorum likes this
- nawhn likes this
- bathinginhoney likes this
- gdgq reblogged this from desert-nausea
- dhho-thesofts likes this
- murrgazer reblogged this from heksen
- murrgazer likes this
- plutonumetrio likes this
- heksen reblogged this from desert-nausea